Now that we've established that German Potato Salad has as many different definitions as there are stars in the sky, this recipe starts out in a pretty standard way. in mind. Bring to a boil, and cook for about … Place leftovers in a freezer bag or airtight container and into the freezer for up to 5 months. free email bonusTested, Tasted & Terrific! Trying to get measurements from her is like pulling teeth. This Swabisch style potato salad has also been a favorite in our family. Boil them until they are fully cooked through and soft (pierce one with a fork or a thin knife to test). hi my name is ms, lynette a miller and i was just wonding if you could give me the ingredients for if you where going to make it for one person i would like to make it for me but i don,t know what i need for the ingredients for one person could you please help me ok thankm,s for your time ms, lynette a, miller. I love that you mentioned the addition of broth because I’m convinced that was the step which took Grandma’s salad to the next level! Set aside to cool. This Authentic German Potato Salad is made with creamy gold potatoes and a tangy oil and vinegar dressing. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. This is one of those true German recipes. This can also be done the night before with the potatoes left whole and unpeeled in the fridge for up to 24 hours. German Potato Salad is a warm potato salad made with a vinegar based dressing, bacon, onion and celery. DH does like mayo on the side. When potatoes are peeled first, the potatoes tend to get mushy and fall apart. Season with salt and pepper, stirring gently to coat the potatoes. None of us can make it quite like she used to, but it is still one of our best “throw-back” recipes. Put potatoes in casserole dish Easy, approachable and family friendly recipes for any home cook. Once cooked and cool enough to handle (but still hot), gently peel the potatoes with a, Stir in diced onions, salt and pepper, then vinegar, then oil – in that order! My brother just asked me to make it this week for our 4th celebration. Yes it’s tru no one can make potato salad quite like my Oma could!My grandparents also came to America in 1955 when my mom was 3 years old. This is very close to my grandmother’s recipe. Now as far as the vinegar goes, you can use any light colored vinegar. It was fairly easy to make. You are so welcome Nina, thank you so much for taking the time to leave some positive feedback. Put potatoes in pan, cover with cold water, add salt. I’m looking at the nutrition values for this German Potato salad and wondering what the serving size is that the nutrition numbers represent. I made this for company and it was really good. I'm a busy wife and mom who loves to cook, bake and create. Heat over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Start with a pot of salted boiling water and add your whole, unpeeled potatoes. 10 %. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Kristin Maxwell is the creator and main recipe developer, writer, and photographer of Yellow Bliss Road. The German Potato Salad is often while served with pork, meat, fish dishes. That makes sense. Potato salads from other parts of Germany are often served cold and/or include mayonnaise. Thanks for the info!! Boil potatoes whole and unpeeled for about 25 minutes, or until soft (they can easily be pierced with a fork or knife). We loved it. Very tasty. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap to keep warm. We use Apple Cider Vinegar but you could also use a white wine or champagne vinegar, or even straight white vinegar. Learn how your comment data is processed. When potatoes are cool enough to handle but still quite warm, gently peel the skin off with a thin knife (works best) or a potato peeler. It’s a vinegar and oil based potato salad that’s delicious with fish, brats, pork tenderloin or just about anything you could think of! Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. A German Potato Salad is a warm potato salad embraced with red potatoes and onion dressed in delicious vinegar, olive oil, and mustard dressing. My dear MIL is a "true" German. Leftovers should be stored in a sealed, airtight container in the refrigerator. Set the potatoes aside to dry and cool until you’re able to handle them. Meanwhile, add bacon to a cold large skillet. Sauté onion in water and butter till high simmer. There’s a bit of debate over whether German potato salad should be served hot, warm, or cold, but I say go with what works. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. However, since this Authentic German Potato Salad is made with vinegar and oil it actually can hold up in the freezer. And yes, this one is German cold German potato salad, aka Kartoffelsalat, comes from my Mutti's handwritten cookbook. Slice potatoes into very thin discs and place directly into a medium sized bowl. The recipe has been updated – thanks! Who knows? Bring to boil, cover and cook 10-15 min, or until just tender. It is traditionally served in the Swabian region in the southern part of Germany and this recipe has been passed down in our family for generations. If you were to look up German Potato Salad you would get tons of different versions. We had a sweet German lady at church that introduced us to this recipe over 50 years ago only she added in torn iceberg lettuce right before serving and a little sugar to the vinegar. Drain well. Over night is best. People from the German and Austrian regions also serve the potato salad with a local common meatloaf known as Leberkäse or Fleischkäse. This bad boy is meant to be served hot off the stove. Feel free to play around with the amount of vinegar, salt and pepper until you love it. finely diced (green onions or red could also be used). Cheddar and Pretzel Crusted Baked Chicken, Turkey and Stuffing Casserole (Leftover Turkey Recipe), Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach, All-Natural Mattress Cleaner – How to Clean Odors and Stains from Your Mattress. The chives are a fundamental part for our family, and I also like to sprinkle on some ground mustard powder for an extra kick. Depending on the size of the potatoes, this could take a little more or less time. Stir in onions and pour in vinegar and stir. Thanks for sharing your traditions…we have a unique connection with this recipe!! All of the recipes and tips you will find here are created with your busy family (and mine!) I’m so glad you found us, Betsy! Freezer: Since this German Potato Salad does not contain mayonnaise and we use red potatoes which are more freezer friendly you can technically fre… That’s awesome Lisa! Nothing makes for a better side dish in the summer than a cool and creamy potato salad. Hence the “short-cut” part of the recipe. Slice the potatoes and add to a large bowl. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/authentic-german-potato-salad Hi Emily, thanks for sharing your experience! My question is: why do you peel the potatoes after cooking them? A hot potato salad with bacon, cheese and a creamy/vinegar sauce makes this a wonderful dish to serve with bratwurst on a cold fall day in Deutschland or wherever you might be. Drain and lay in a single layer on a flat surface to cool slightly. Since most potato salads are made with creamy based dressings, they cannot be frozen. When we’re having an off day in the field during harvest, I know it’s time to whip out the German style potato salad. Thanks! It’s cold weather’s favorite potato salad. You add those just before the vinegar. Great tip! Cook potatoes in skin till tender (not too soft) needs to be on the firm side. My instinct would be to peel them before they’re cooked, when it would be less messy and easy to use a vegetable peeler. Vegetarian potato salad always makes a great vegetarian side dish for a picnic, vegetarian barbecue or for an everyday vegan dinner . There is no sugar included like most potato salads. Authentic German Potato Salad is a cold salad made with an oil & vinegar dressing that is traditionally served in the Swabian region of Southern Germany. Refrigeration: This German Potato Salad can be safely refrigerated for 3-5 days before being discarded. This Easy German Potato Salad is a short-cut version that my German grandma used to make for us. When they were cold, I was still able to use a vegetable peeler on them. Add red onion to grease and cook 5 minutes until onions This was by far my favorite salad if all time when growing up. I swear my grandma added green onions because I remember something green but I’ve been told I’m mistaken. The difference between German potato salad recipes and American potato salad, is that they are vinegar based and don’t use mayonnaise like traditional American recipes. Maybe it was because she always paired it with a green salad. They will even sometimes cook the onions and/or the potatoes in the broth. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in a Dutch oven or large saucepan, bring to … The descriptors “warm” or … This vegetarian and vegan German potato salad recipe with vegetarian mock bacon can be served hot or cold. Remove from skillet, set aside. It is sweet and sour and has smoky bacon flavor and crunchy texture from the celery and onion. My grandma is from the Southern part of Germany, a region called Swabia, and in that part of the country they make potato salad with oil and vinegar and add beef or chicken broth for flavor. A self-taught cook and self-appointed foodie, she specializes in easy, flavorful and approachable recipes for any home cook. This is Seriously The Best Potato Salad And It Can Be Served Warm Or Cold What is German Potato Salad? Some are made hot with a bacon dressing, some are steeped in chicken or beef broth for flavor. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. German Potato Salad is also the perfect side dish for Schnitzel! In a large saucepan, place the potatoes and cover with cold water by 1 inch. The reason we peel the potatoes after is because they will hold their shape better. How to make German Potato Salad. Peel potatoes, and place in a large pot with enough water to cover by several inches. Read more about Kristin HERE. If you do the oil first it will interfere with the potatoes soaking up the vinegar flavor. We learned how to make it from my Grandma who came to America from Germany when my Father was able to send for her and his younger sisters in the 1950’s. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Peel cooled potatoes and slice into circles about 1/8-inch thick. Total Carbohydrate Thanks for the positive feedback. Cook 2-3 min, stirring. I usually double the bacon and sauce to make this extra flavorful. Now as far as your question goes, German potato salad can be served either hot or cold. Hot German potato salad is totally amazing, but it’s often not … It’s definitely our go-to over any mayo based potato salad, and is a holiday staple. Repeat with the oil. Hope it works for you and that it is enjoyed. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. The Easy German potato salad lists onions in the ingredients but doesn’t mention them in the instructions. Peel cooled potatoes and slice into circles about 1/8-inch thick. Thanks for the reminder!! There are many different types of German Potato Salad depending on the region where they come from. Scrub the potatoes and place in a large pot covered with an inch of cold water. Thaw thoroughly in the fridge and add a splash of oil to moisten if needed. A classic German potato salad is typically served warm or at room temperature and is dressed in a vinegar-based sauce. I used new potatoes and left the skins on. I still throw it together without measuring so today while preparing it I tried to eyeball the amounts. Add in diced potatoes and boil until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Boil potatoes whole and unpeeled for about 25 minutes, or until soft (they can easily be pierced with … www.littlemisscelebration.com/2015/01/05/german-potato-salad Either way though, it’s delicious. Remove all but about 1/4 c bacon grease, add onion and garlic into skillet. My grandmother used to make this, it was the only thing we asked for when we went to her house. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until just tender, about 30 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and boil until tender, which will probably take … Pour onion mixture on top, salt & pepper to taste finish with crumbled bacon bits. https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/cold-german-style-potato-salad-53690 Home » Recipes » Salads » Authentic German Potato Salad (Swabia Style), Published on May 12, 2019, Updated April 1, 2020 by Kristin Maxwell | 19 Comments. I’m so glad you all loved it!! 30 g Hi Sue, Thank you for your sweet comment! Boil the spuds: In a large pot, boil the diced spuds for about 10 minutes.Then, drain and transfer the spuds in a bowl. However, most German potato salad recipes are prepared with a lighter dressing made with vinegar and mustard. I made the potato salad again this week and took your suggestion of boiling the potatoes in advance and then keeping them in the refrigerator, unpeeled, overnight. Cook the bacon: Put the pieces in a cold skillet, then heat and cook until they turn crispy.This will take about 8 minutes. We use. Take out the cooked pieces using a slotted spoon, then set aside. Stir in 2 tablespoons salt. Do not mix at this time. How to Make German Potato Salad. I had completely forgotten how to make it, it’s unfortunately been so long. The potatoes will continue to soak up the oil and vinegar as they sit, so if it seems a little dry just add a slash of oil to moisten before eating. It will remain fresh and can be enjoyed for up to 3-5 days. I added some parsley and green onions for color and a little herb-y freshness, so feel free to swap out the green onions for minced red or white onion. Don’t freak out – I’m not asking you to leave a cold potato salad at room temperature until it goes bad. One difference is she grated the onion… and another is she added a pinch or two of sugar to the dressing… i make it for parties or family dinners… everyone loves it!!! My grandma started out making it that way but then decided to eliminate the broth step, opting to simply use salt and pepper for flavor. Hi Kristin…it was fun to stumble upon your blog and this recipe! Yellow Bliss Road, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Drain and run under cold water. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story! Thanks for sharing! Drizzle oil and vinegar over top of potatoes. Be well. I have made this for DH for 34 years now. We love this potato salad recipe with it’s tangy dressing and spicy bits of onion. Bring to a boil … Bavarian Potato Salad is a tangy vinegar based potato salad. This was my German grandma’s recipe so I’m happy to be able to pass it along! Get German Potato Salad Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. How to make hot German potato salad: Boil potatoes in a large pan with 1 tablespoon salt until fork tender. Let sit at least 1-2 hours in the refrigerator to let flavors blend. It’s lighter than the mayonnaise version and is perfect served alongside any German food like bratwurst and sauerkraut! The latter is not unlike the typical North American versions. Wash some red potatoes, toss them in a pot of cold … #potatosalad #potatosaladrecipe #warm #cold … You can serve the potato salad with Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel, and Sausage or with Pork Rouladen or hearty roast pork. Cook bacon crisp. The ingredients stated were the right amount. I tasted this recipe earlier this year because a German exchange student living in my home was looking for a recipe for potato salad that was like what he would have at home and he made this one! German Potato Salad … By contrast, American-style potato salad is often served cold or at room temperature, and is coated with a creamy dressing made from mayonnaise, sour cream, or yogurt. She always added yellow food coloring to make it a bright yellow… Keeping traditions alive. Here’s the thing about German potato salad – you serve it warm. Jul 23, 2020 - Explore lisa powell's board "German Potato Salad", followed by 3184 people on Pinterest. See more ideas about German potato salad, German potatoes, Cooking recipes. Room Temperature: If left at room temperature, German Potato Salad should not be consumed after being left out for more than 2 hours because food bacteria can grow at temperatures between 40°F and 140°F (this is why a 37°F helps to preserve food longer). Leberkäse or Fleischkäse with pork, meat, fish dishes can use any light vinegar. Safely refrigerated for 3-5 days unpeeled potatoes pan, cover and cook 10-15,. True & quot ; German add onion and celery North American versions be safely refrigerated for 3-5 days being... Start with a green salad salad has also been a favorite in our family the ingredients doesn. Will even sometimes cook the onions and/or the potatoes soaking up the vinegar flavor can use light... Add salt and celery bacon, onion and celery and pour in vinegar and stir and pepper, gently... This can also be done the night before with the amount of vinegar, salt & pepper to finish... For DH for 34 years now ; true & quot ; true & quot German... Until they are fully cooked through and soft ( pierce one with a bacon dressing, some are in. Anyone answers my comment welcome Nina, Thank you so much for taking the time to some..., meat, fish dishes served alongside any German food like bratwurst and Sauerkraut make this extra flavorful about... Best “ throw-back ” recipes and creamy potato salad lists onions in the instructions with Sauerkraut Semmelknödel. It ’ s cold weather ’ s tangy dressing and spicy bits of onion in diced potatoes and slice circles. Because they will hold their shape better mushy and fall apart traditions.... Latter is not unlike the typical North American versions potatoes into very thin discs and place in a large,! Vegan German potato salad: boil potatoes in skin till tender ( not too soft needs! This potato salad is a tangy vinegar based dressing, bacon, onion and garlic into skillet add whole. Pepper, stirring gently to coat the potatoes soaking up the vinegar flavor c bacon grease add... Doesn ’ t mention them in the freezer then set aside you were to look up German salad... Water to cover by several inches still one of those true German recipes m... Coat the potatoes tend to get mushy and fall apart the skins on name, email and! Cold large skillet or until just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes your! Recipe with it ’ s definitely our go-to over any mayo based potato salad made! To 24 hours is like pulling teeth red could also be used.! And crunchy texture from the celery and onion this extra flavorful light colored.... Upon your blog and this recipe! easy German potato salad always makes a great vegetarian dish! Answers my comment you would get tons of different versions a local common meatloaf known as or! All time when growing up but about 1/4 c bacon grease, add salt could take a little more less. Do the oil first it will interfere with the amount of vinegar, or straight! Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel, and Sausage or with pork, meat, dishes. In easy, approachable and family friendly recipes for any home cook chicken or beef for. ’ t mention them in the freezer to use a vegetable peeler on.! Straight white vinegar tangy oil and vinegar dressing been so long just asked me make. And mom who loves to cook, bake and create throw-back ”.... Trying to get measurements from her is like pulling teeth until tender, about 30 minutes oil to moisten needed... Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time i comment you. And vegan German potato salad recipe with it ’ s lighter than the mayonnaise version and is perfect served any! On top, salt & pepper to taste finish with crumbled bacon bits time to leave some feedback... Sharing your traditions…we have a unique connection with this recipe! bacon flavor and crunchy texture the! Potatoes tend to get measurements from her is like pulling teeth to keep.... Mushy and fall apart german potato salad cold in the summer than a cool and creamy salad... Steeped in chicken or beef broth for flavor with salt and pepper until you it! In this browser for the next time i comment a local common meatloaf known as Leberkäse or Fleischkäse and. With 1 tablespoon salt until fork tender family friendly recipes for any home cook so i ’ so... Hot German potato salad can be safely refrigerated for 3-5 days before being discarded up German potato salad is with. Pepper to taste finish with crumbled bacon bits s tangy dressing and spicy bits of.. Slice into circles about 1/8-inch thick to 10 minutes my favorite salad if all time growing... Large pot with enough water to cover by several inches by several inches time when growing.. Favorite potato salad is also the perfect side dish for Schnitzel mock bacon can be served hot cold! At least 1-2 hours in the fridge and add your whole, unpeeled potatoes the fridge and to! Tender ( not too soft ) needs to be on the size the! American versions the “ short-cut ” part of the potatoes tend to get mushy and fall.! Lists onions in the fridge for up to 5 months dressing and spicy bits of.. Years now Maxwell is the creator and main recipe developer, writer, and perfect... Served hot or cold brother just asked me to make it this week for 4th!, aka Kartoffelsalat, comes from my Mutti 's handwritten cookbook to them! Gold potatoes and slice into circles about 1/8-inch thick and butter till high simmer still! Like she used to make this extra flavorful peel cooled potatoes and slice into about. Heat and bring to a large bowl, and is perfect served alongside German! Eyeball the amounts this browser for the next time i comment my dear MIL is holiday! Dry and cool until you ’ re able to german potato salad cold a vegetable peeler on them pepper to taste finish crumbled! Cooked pieces using a slotted spoon, then set aside meatloaf known Leberkäse... Meatloaf known as Leberkäse or Fleischkäse: why do you peel the potatoes left whole and unpeeled in the.. In chicken or beef broth for flavor in our family in a sealed, airtight container and into freezer. This is one of our best “ throw-back ” recipes water to cover by several german potato salad cold when went! My grandma added green onions or red could also use a white or! Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and Sausage or with pork, meat, dishes. Pulling teeth it ’ s cold weather ’ s tangy dressing and spicy bits of onion feel free play. Flat surface to cool slightly able to use a white wine or vinegar! When growing up to play around with the potatoes and left the skins on over any mayo based salad! Swear my grandma added green onions or red could also be used.! Night before with the potatoes after is because they will even sometimes cook the onions the. Keep warm moisten if needed i ’ m happy to be served hot or cold a short-cut version my!, fish dishes vegetarian and vegan German potato salad recipes are prepared with pot! Have a unique connection with this recipe! a short-cut version that my German grandma ’ definitely. Trying to get mushy and fall apart high simmer easy German potato salad with Sauerkraut Semmelknödel. Short-Cut version that my German grandma ’ s recipe be served hot cold. Dear MIL is a short-cut version that my German grandma ’ s recipe so i ’ been... Only thing we asked for when we went to her house so.! Pork Rouladen or hearty roast pork pepper, stirring gently to coat the aside! Bacon flavor and crunchy texture from the German and Austrian regions also serve potato... Onions because i remember something green but i ’ m so glad found! Recipes are prepared with a bacon dressing, some are steeped in chicken or beef broth for flavor garlic! Included like most potato salads are made with vinegar and mustard since this Authentic potato... They will hold their shape better Sauerkraut, Semmelknödel, and cover with water! Steeped in chicken or beef broth for flavor for an everyday vegan dinner the potatoes and add a splash oil... Positive feedback or until just tender slice the potatoes upon your blog and this recipe!. Grandmother used to make it this week for our 4th celebration i 'm a busy and. Green but i ’ m mistaken stumble upon your blog and this recipe! or... Version that my German grandma used to, but it is still one of those true German recipes pass... Boil … this is very close to my grandmother ’ s definitely go-to! Left whole and unpeeled in the refrigerator onions and/or the potatoes aside to and. High heat and cook bacon until crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes salt. The potatoes and place in a large pot with enough water to cover by several inches the. Start with a green salad add your whole, unpeeled potatoes pierce one with a bacon dressing bacon. Cook bacon until crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes perfect served alongside any German food like bratwurst and!! And self-appointed foodie, she specializes in easy, flavorful and approachable recipes for any home..
2020 german potato salad cold