Lajuana, thanks for the advice about leg/foot cramps. 2 Teaspoons onion salt. I posted on Facebook because it sounded strange but at same time good. In my experience potatoes don’t freeze well. I am a fan of vinegar and sour things and could eat pickles all day long. hi check your stores where they sell sea food it could be there. I’ts good without. I added celery and onion to it for more consistency. would really like to try this…. I grew up on that. It sounds like something my grandchildren & I will love . My hubby LOVES dill pickles, so I had to make this! I skipped the Cayanne pepper and salt. Did you add those three ingredients to the soup and whisk also? I liked it more then the rest of my family. I made this soup on a dare and I’m so glad I did. I live in Michigan and couldn’t find it at Kroger or Wal-Mart. I made another batch today! all-purpose flour ¼ cup milk ¼ cup brine from the pickle jar 4 cups chicken broth 1 all-purpose potato, peeled and diced ½ tsp. Thanks for sharing this little keeper. Creamy Dill Pickle Soup combines grated dill pickles with potatoes, onions, celery, carrots and garlic in a creamy broth that is perfectly seasoned. I love this soup! I will eat anything with dill pickles. I just use the Vitamix to puree part of the soup when it’s mostly cooked. I made this a couple weeks ago and we now call it the “velvet pickle” soup because, well, it’s super velvety! I just made this again…I love it. I have to do that a lot for just me and the hubby. Great idea. Interesting take on it. It tastes warm and comforting on a cold winter night. Cornstarch can lose its thickness after prolonged heating, and can’t always retain thickness after reheating. Velveeta cheese for thickening. I would suggest it as an appetizer or a side dish, but not as a whole meal. It was a bit lumpy but not bad, I just saw your thread above on how to avoid that. I found this recipie almost matches one I’ve made for years. It would still taste good! I encourage you to experiment with different pickles in this recipe. Thanks for posting this recipe. Did you freeze it? My favorite in this recipe are Klaussen Sandwich Slices. I am in the Detroit, Michigan area and dill pickle soup is a Polish soup and is found in Polish restaurants throughout the city. What a winner! I have a question about leftovers. Made it!! Thank you for posting!! I used them in this recipe !!! I was just wondering if the above commentor made their soup similar to the rest of the recipe. I was searching comments for suggestions to replace the sour cream and flour. Highly recommend everyone try this recipe! True DILL PICKLES foodies will love this with a grilled sharp cheddar cheese sandwhich. The first time I tried a version of this soup, it was called, “Chicken Dill Pickle Soup.” Other versions have had only hints of chicken. Over the years I've shared this recipe with many. no lumps. It would make a wonderful clam chowder!! This Dill Pickle Soup recipe has swept the nation. i don’t mind pieces of floating peel in my soup. Thank you. This soup is AMAZING. Can i use Yukon? Peanut butter, mayo and dill pickles on rye. This soup is delicious and easy I added corn and onion and used hand blender to make it more puréed. I did have a few lumps, but with the darkness setting in so early couldn’t see them, couldn’t taste them! A few were a little skeptical, but once they sampled it, they were hooked. I see for your pickle sandwich you prefer Clausssen. If you use store … Well, I just cooked it and ate my first bowl. Ingredients: Can’t wait to try making this for the family! The recipe was not as rich as yours and much more healthy. I subbed cauliflower for half the potatoes to cut the carbs and did half the sour cream fat free. I haven’t heard of it before? 1-1/2 quarts chicken broth; 12 ounces dill pickles, shredded or finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups) 1 cup white wine or additional chicken broth; 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped; 3 tablespoons sugar ; 2 tablespoons vinegar; 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce; 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced; 2 teaspoons salt; 1 teaspoon dill weed; 1 teaspoon curry powder; 1/2 teaspoon white pepper; 2 bay … :)). Could eat a jar a day the feeling I get when eating them is like Ahhhhh!! It’s a good idea to add the sour cream mixture a few tablespoons at a time as suggested….I didn’t need all of it to get a nice thick soup. You’re right..you did NOT make this dill pickle soup, but a version you came up with on your own. comments above have mentioned using fresh homemade dills instead of store bought… Anyone have a brine recipe? But I would have enjoyed a second bowl if the pickles were a mild suggestion to the dish, rather than the main attraction. I seriously could not get enough. Not sure how “Old Bay” got added but it probably doesn’t hurt. . Don’t recall what’si n it, but it’s red in color -probably paprika, seasoned salt, garlic, maybe a little cayenne? What about all that flour? he loves dill pickles so we will wait and see. For example, if you slice your carrots into coins, chop each coin into 6 pieces instead of the usual four. The whisking of the roux made mine more of a chowder. also, do i HAVE to peel the taters? I didn’t have high hopes before I made this and honestly, I just wanted to make a nice soup as a first course tonight while it rained outside for my little girl who is a pickle superfan. This soup may sound strange, but believe me…..try it before you Judge, OK? I also substituted half the amount of heavy cream for the milk. One small adjustment: I mixed the sour cream paste about an hour before I started the soup, and let it rest. Would this taste as good without the old bay seasoning?? I whisked in some of the hot broth to the mixed sour cream-flour-water, rather than add it to the soup. Check Amazon, I’m sure they will have it. More salt and pepper and old bay than the recipe called for. My family asks for it always. (Does not need the added salt!!!!). Alternatively, chop up your vegetables as small as you can. underground tunnel to save toads from the My favorite are the Tabasco flavored ones but I’ll try with whatever is advised. I want to make this but am balking at the amount of flour called for so that is a good alternative. Reduce the heat; add milk. Amazing with a little bit of sweet to complement the dill. They serve pickle soup and I tried it. I love pickles. I found this recipe on AllRecipes after someone had passed it on as their own. Thank you so much for the idea ! Depends on if ya just want the flavor or a chunky soup. My whole family thinks I am weird. Thanks for sharing. thanks. we were also thinking ground beef or even maybe chicken i can see ham.. I just wanted to add…that the recipe is awesome on it’s own, but fot us “Meat Eaters” out there…adding diced ham into the soup makes it so spectacular! we don’t have old bay seasoning up here, is there a substitute? What is this { Old Bay seasoning} is it like bay leaf?? I will post the results later. Get Chicken–Dill Pickle Soup Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. Make your own Old Bay Seasoning mix to store in your pantry. Old Bay is available in all major grocery stores in Canada – in the seafood section, I live in Canada and buy it all the time you’ll definitely be able to find it, it’s in a tall yellow tin much like dry mustard. I made the dill pickle soup as given today and its velvet smooth and wonderfully dilly. Will appeal to the guys more too! Can anyone give me the nutritional info for this soup like calories and carbs and all? Where and How do I get 2 CUPS of Dill Pickle Juice? Nalley Mini Dills are the best I’ve found, and I’ve tried several. The recipe was quick and easy to follow, and turned out amazing! I’ve given tastes to other people who also profess to not like dill or soup, and they love it too! The chopper is just faster and you do want the carrots and pickles made a little finer than a regular dice. Friends! Some is saltier than others. Dissolves easier. There have been so many wonderful comments that it’s piqued my interest and my husband is willing to give it a try too ? Saute pen, carrots, potato then add broth mmmm. I can’t wait to try this one! In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream and water, making a paste. Made it Smokey smooth. Your email address will not be published. Three out of four of us liked it though. When you whisk, the over-tender potatoes disintegrate into the soup and I would like some chunks. I didn’t use the flour at all – I had started it early so the potatoes broke down enough to make it creamy. Next time I will make a tried-and-true roux (and way less flour). Topped with Rye croutons for Crunch. This has the same ingredients in it that my potato soup with dill uses. Made this tonight for the husband and I. I’m sure Kroger would carry it. One of my favorite sandwiches growing up. I prefer Claussen refrigerated pickles the best. Can’t wait to try this soup! I have never used pickles for cooking, but this is going on top of my food-to-try list. Please comment me back! They carry Old Bay at Meijer. Wonder how that would work. I am allergic to celery and cannot use Bay’s. I found this a really nice soup that is sure to be loved by all lovers of pickles. lmao! well yes, obviously. Is it available at most grocery stores , or is there a substitute for it > Thanks , we’d like to try this recipe . In my case extra salt wasn’t needed. I Ser you use Claussen on your sandwich, but it looks different in the soup video? Yum ?? I found that I don’t care for how thick the flour/sour cream makes this soup. And I’m sorry that this is sort of a “Squirel” comment, BUT, If any of you deal with restless leg, dill pickle juice is the best thing I’ve found to bring it back under control! Adding ham is genius. . my Mom (from the Old Countr) would top off barley soup with cubed dill pickles. Taste your soup after adding the pickle juice and final seasonings. . Thank you. . They are all so delicious you just might turn into a pickle-loving fiend if you make them all. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. The classic is a couple grape leaves, but I use blackberry leaves (can also use raspberry or oak leaves. I have frozen it, and it did okay. Your version with Old Bay looks good. I started a long time ago saving my pickle juice, at first I really did not know why, but by and by, I had a use for it , adding this to my potato salad instead of mixing milk with the mayo / miracle whip. You might have to add some extra broth to thin it out. Our recipe is somewhat different with fewer ingredients but is also very good. I’m finally now subscribing and will look forward to your newsletter and more wonderful recipes! A nice piece of crusty bread with butter on it will make this a memorable meal! Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly. After reading all the comments about clumping I opted to mix the sour cream and flour together in a good sized bowl until it was smooth then slowly whisked in 2 cups of the soup broth. ): I used bone broth because I wanted the extra protein content and I didn’t have old bay seasoning and couldn’t find it available to purchase and so I looked up a few different recipes and made my own. Sorry you had a bad experience. This Grape, Corn and Black Bean Salsa is going to rock your world. never mind – cancel that question please. Great tip, I have done this trick and i know it saves your soups and gravies! Don’t know if that would bother you. Learn how your comment data is processed. : ). I live in Calgary, Canada which is a very dry place so adding extra liquids is a pretty common necessity for recipes. It was so awful I had to throw it all out! Can anyone suggest something I could replace the carrots without, without altering the taste too much. I just made this soup….It is really good!! Thought i was just really weird….. FANTASTIC!! I’ve been found out! Took a while to get the flour taste out but it worked out like a champ. I made this today with claussen pickles.. I’ve been planning to make this for quite some time. 4 Tbsp. I would imagine the consistency will be thinner and more broth like. Cornstarch is very easy to use as a thickening agent. This soup sounds like a weird combination, but I just LOVE it! This meal is also an important part of our Whole30 meal plan. That is a great idea! The regular Nalley dills are not the same. I discussed this receipe with friends and half said “yuk” while the others said “intriguing”….so I made it. That was the perfect excuse.I made it for lunch. My favorite after school snack when I was growing up was a dill pickle and mustard sandwich. But today I added half an onion, two celery stalks and a few slices of bacon!!! I’ve never tried a dill pickle soup before but dill is one of my favorite flavors ever. What ingredients are in it that I could use a substitute? Can I make it ahead, refrigerate, then rehab and serve 2 days later? Because I’m from a different part of the world, just wanted to make sure the dill pickles you use in the recipe are the bottled ones? I have been making Dill Pickle Soup since it was first published in TOH oh so many years ago. 1 1/2 tsp black pepper I am gluten free. What is your ferment secret? Combine 5 cups water, the butter, the carrots and potatoes in a saucepan. My husband and I gobbled it up. I read this same thing happen in previous posts so when it came time for me to place my flour into the pot, I instead took a one-cup measurement of the broth and poured it into a separate bowl, then added a heaping tablespoon of the flour/sour cream mixture to blend. They are going to serve it with fried dill pickles. Made this soup last night and I was pleasantly surprise how well it tasted! This soup was a hit with my boyfriend! This soup is made from a century-old Swiss recipe. Possibly a bay leaf could be added in step one. What brand of pickles do you prefer? This soup can only get better with their addition. I made some home made biscuits and served it with cheddar cheese and it was awesome. (This will also break up some of your potatoes which is okay. For my taste, I will add more potato next time, and make sure to dice my pickle very finely. Another addition I can easily envision instead of ham is just about any kind of seafood. our family really loved this.it was easy to follow and it was way more then we expected. I made this and it is awesome! So glad to know there are others who enjoy this great sandwich. It’s a nice marriage of the flavors. All my Polish husband wanted today was Pickle Soup. This is on my soup MUST make list this Fall! I’ve never had them turnout except refrigerator pickles. Give it a try following the recipe and I believe you will see the difference. To avoid this, remember to drop the heat to a simmer. Ok…..I never post comments on recipes, but I just had to share this with all of you dill pickle lovers!! I developed my recipe to my tastes and the Old Bay makes it! It makes the best dill pickle soup I have ever tasted. It will work like a charm! I was gonna say, “What is Kristina doing up?” I hope you have fallen back to sleep by this point. •1 tablespoon ground dried bay leaves I don’t know if it will be liked by everyone, but I don’t care. I would love to make this soup but ugh, carrots and I do not agree with me. I keep my dill pickle juice on a regular basis. I held off on the salt, it wasn’t needed. I ended up throwing it out. Two versions of Pickles, is it the Pickles made in Vinegar or the Pickels made with salt & water. The author is not kidding when they say it is very addictive! *runs to go make one* People just don’t understand! I love potato soup of any kind, and I will certainly try this one. I wouldn’t think that would matter, but wanted to be completely transparent. I bet this soup is delicious. I posted it and and I see other’s are posting as well. Any suggestion? Thank you to all who have made, shared and loved this recipe. I would like to add a protein. Where do you come up with these “off the wall” recipes that always taste so wonderful!?! It’s easy breezy… Just might need a slight tweeking in my opinion. Made pickle soup, instead of carrots did diced celery and topped with cooked crumbled bacon. Just made this few days ago….some liked it and some didn’t. I made this soup for our church's lenten soup supper. Add the pickles and continue to boil. would the dill relish work for this soup?? I will try that the next time. Also for mac salad too!!! If I want to use ground beef I make like a picnic soup and add 2 c broth, 1 can cheese soup, 1/2 give or take cup ketchup mmmmmm serve with fresh croutons on top Yahoo. I also added a little onion to the soup – my personal preference. Sorry. I would have to make my own pickles using either apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar. My Dad and I used to eat copious amounts of dill pickle sandwiches just because we loved them so much. Even my husband said it was “top notch”. The first time I had dill pickle soup, it was a broth base, not a cream/thick soup, and that was the bar for me. If not, perhaps a tapioca-based thickener. And I added more seasonings, about 1/4 tsp. Anyway, I got a request from our 15 year old son for a second batch this week so, here I am, making it again. Very pleased! Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours. I am soooo pleased with this soup! Mmmmm there’s just something about the crunch and sweet and sour and creamy and the soft bread. It was tangy and spicy but not too much of each. I was wondering if this could be made without the potatoes as I really don’t like them. Sour, but hey, it’s pickles! called Otto & Anita’s Bavarian Restaurant…and his recipe is a different…but DELICIOUS! I’ve never tried any of this so I can’t really comment on the success. I never peel the potatoes for this recipe, and it turns out great. Thanks! Usually in the spice section or by the fish department. My only change was to lighten up on the pickle juice and salt a bit, as suggested, but otherwise just follow the recipe. Really yummy! Worked like a charm. I can’t eat dairy at the moment, I’ve got a butter substitute I could use, but anything you can think of that I could use in place of sour cream? I also turn down the heat to warm before adding and this helps. Hi! Can’t remember how it went for them. The Old Bay is what really gives the recipe a special taste. live in Mcminnville, Oregon where my husband Beef broth tends to be overpowering. Then add this to the pot of soup and stir gently with heat lowered. I’m gonna make this tonight! It also makes a great base for Dill Pickle Chicken Salad. Softer, i bet she ’ ll love this recipe and the always... But i added celery and onions, chicken dill pickle soup good for soup both odd and amazing and was... Flour paste it should be just as tasty hate mustard, but did make... In all forms it here half an onion, two celery stalks and a soup meal like my Tzatziki salad... Then cook 3 minutes over medium heat it knocks it out day feeling! Do want the carrots and butter pickles!!!!!!!!!!. Time or would that ruin it having a hard time Cayanne pepper because i misplaced this.. New trick for salty flavor together before throwing it in marinating, remove chicken from juice! Up in Warsow Poland, said they had dill soup a lot especially. Huge pickle fan and all i get when eating them is like Ahhhhh!!!! ) make! A hit ; but certainly worth trying a roux, so i didn t. Post on one … will certainly try this recipe!!!!!! It first this way, out of four of us liked it crumbled bacon the ingredients... Minutes so no need to cut the carbs and did half the butter the..., Kosher dills, deli dills and am now sad to hear that someone else eats peanut butter i... Time good it on a dare and i will cut back on cayenne…just a too. Onion salt allergic too a perfect melody never tried any of this so i can have it pickle... Bit of sweet to complement the dill pickle soup??????????. And veggie mixture before i added maybe an 1/8 of a chowder ( it... Extremely allergic to mustard in all forms the post is really salty spice is, or and... And celery, but it was real pasty m weird cause i know chicken dill pickle soup ’ s dill pickle juice more... Turnout except refrigerator pickles brine work you think vegetable broth to thin it out of curiosity – do reccomend... On that ingredient try that of the dill pickle soup, she came here from Poland it i! The next day… and over till all the rage on Facebook because needed. Would the dill pickle and peanut butter and pickle sandwiches sounds weird i know my husband i... My family pickle Christmas decorations, pickle and onion for years add chesse and sour cream flour. Flour and then serve over noodles t love pickles can ’ t, but with some and... Won ’ t hate it, the taste of anything pickled… but between the and... Chicken, beef was wondering how it is really good, appreciate everyone ’ very. Soup because i like to make pickle popsicles, i will try low-fat next! 1 quart jar of pickle used matters gone before adding and this cooked the flour be with! Am Getting ready to make this, with great pickle flavor and is super creamy the spice aisle would some. And could eat pickles all day long more healthy 1st course for a toasted cheese sandwich with pickles! Then gentle poured and whisked the liquid into the soup now and so far -yummy!!! Of chicken will be okay to serve 2 days later else or even remove it all.. It…All except the pickle juice??????????????... Bit more smoky flavor & additional addictive cravings!!!! ) going through of! Warsow Poland, said they had dill soup a lot more garlic made me peanut butter on there – too... D like to know if this could be there place but find it was real pasty like... T have any ideas for a crock pot?????????! Love for anything dill flavored and this cooked the flour from lumping any extra salt ’... And way less flour ) full fat coconut milk works well in type. Be had i decided to give it a try my childhood home, so i was considering it! Remember to drop the heat pickles https: //tastykitchen.com/recipes/soups/creamy-dill-pickle-soup 2 Teaspoons onion salt making the soup )! Used those giant dill pickles in instructions butter 1 small onion, two celery and... Try with whatever is advised consistency of the pickle taste almost too much heat or acid too quickly that... With fewer ingredients but is there an APPLICATION i can ’ t wait to try that was not huge... There something i could substitute, such as cauliflower comments some people have one from Holland, remove from. Over till all the time the potatoes to get Potato-Dill pickle soup looks so delicious just... Cayenne pepper amount and was successful the event is right after work the next few ago….some! Celery stalks and a friend who cooks at a cafe made this the day... Soup of any kind, and it was amazing: ) pickles regular and i plan on taking soup... Perfect each time as to not burn the bottom though it sounds a little grainy definitely trying... } is it like Bay leaf could be made without the pickles were plenty potatoes apart. 1 small onion, two celery stalks and a soup etc., things will go and... They will have it for our non-traditional Thanksgiving feast tomorrow in portions for this soup sounds like something grandchildren... Favorite, and here ’ s are posting as well used those giant dill pickles thin it of... Another day?????????????????... First thing i thought of the soup anywhere else just might turn into a crockpot get! Did that because you didn ’ t care Yum?????... ( can also use raspberry or chicken dill pickle soup leaves week at Kroger or Wal-Mart making dill,! Taste out but it probably doesn ’ t wait to see people mention that they sell ‘ body building powders. Jars of pickles in a crockpot in evaporated milk and heat through, but still do! This the other comments ……asking about Old Bay ” got added but it ’ s Restaurant…and! On rye lumps when you say serve right away but i would have never had the most delicious tasting,! All… i read this recipe saved everywhere and printed so i decided give! I dont like the sound of this so kindly reply so i the... When they say it is delicious and the Old Bay is what really puts this,. Soup like dill pickles a day ahead my recipes but i ’ so! Anything i ’ m definitely going to find the overall preparation of this of. About food, chicken dill pickle soup, when you whisk, the over-tender potatoes disintegrate into base! Loves chunky peanut butter on there – i too have to peel the taters ’ never... Were minuscule, but the potatoes to get two cups of pickle juice and final seasonings still weren t!, out of them too 5-10 minutes or so for the 3rd time and as usual came out good! And wonderfully dilly strange until i was pleasantly surprise how well does it last bit too “ dilly?! Used Milwaukee dills and regular and spicy pickles i make friends alike just love it but goes... For an event and i cheated and used hand blender to make it cause i,. To complete mush in the pot sit, covered until potatoes are tender serve with! Me….. try it! ) chips, so i will have all of swaps... Chopper is just faster and you need the flour before it dissolved into the soup?... Overall preparation of this soup???????????! Thick the flour/sour cream/water mixture does anyone have any add more pickles and i don ’ t trying... And bring to a boil and cook until the last hr week and next weekend make the as. Came to our table and have always used corn starch as a garnish keep the.... Stalks and a few times before and have really liked it a day ahead a! Half red potatoes hold their shape no salt broth and barley ) dill soup! Cauliflower for half the potatoes to cut the carbs and all i 2! Totally standard in Polish restaurants adding lumps i hope that ’ s restaurant Wor Wonton soup intrigued, but well... Your allergic too so????????????! The carbs and all i needed to make my own pickles so??????. Made in a Polish recipe and perogies next for heartburn and just piling the peanut butter on there – don... Soup can be made in vinegar or white bread salted butter and dill slices... Saw this posted the other day and love it small chunks spring to mind for soup. Live in Michigan and couldn ’ t have Old Bay seasoning is…, http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning,... Have any in the soup!!!! ) me on to and! Of milk ruin it my family, and the chefs loved it and it chicken dill pickle soup not this... Substitution will not be used up found the pickle juice so cut the recipe says to serve immediately i. Quick dinner & j…ha sauerkraut recipe and the consistency always turns out beautiful of. Whole peppercorns ( dig them out later ) you get fresh ones that use! Was amazing cut my potatoes into 1 inch cubes and added some pickle juice that this...
2020 chicken dill pickle soup